Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Viva la tomboy!!

So I have a few confessions for y'all this Wednesday.

Okay my first confession which may or may not be a shocker, is that I've always been somewhat of a tomboy most likely due to the fact that I grew up with the boys. I was brainwashed that girls can and will be  toyed with by a boy they like so I needed to beat them to their own game and if I liked a boy, the best way to show him was to just be a jerk. Also, never let my brothers/ cousins find out about him for the sake of his life. Another "important lesson" I learned from their manner was that my feelings should never be expressed (especially if they're sentimental) because that would be considered whining or just inappropriate.
But besides all of this information my brain was soaking up like a sponge in water, I've always enjoyed doing things boys like to do. I played outside allllllllll day, rode around on Rollerblades or bikes, played out war scenes, and I was obsessed with walkie talkies and Hot Wheels & their awesome tracks. Even in high school, I would watch ESPN for an hour without realizing that none of my brothers or their friends were even around, so I could've actually changed the channel if I wanted to, but I didn't. I remember I would always steal my brother's shirts and wear them cause they were way more comfortable than the tight and figure flattering clothes girls were supposed to wear. Then I would get a Charley horse when they couldn't find their shirt the next day or spotted me in school walking around in it. It didn't make sense to me to get dressed super cute for school just so I could sit all day uncomfortably instead of in a loose & cozy T-shirt, so I chose to be comfy at the expense of my brothers not having many clean shirts and my legs being bruised up for a day or two.
Yeah, this was pretty much me back in the day.
Even though a little bit of that tomboy still lives inside me, I still have my ultra girly moments like squealing over a insanely cute pair of heels that I tell myself I MUST have or hoard numerous amounts of eyeshadow and nail polishes or just being a shopaholic. But today I felt the tomboy in me make an extreme comeback, read on...

Well, this morning I had a big breakfast so of course by the time lunch was upon me I was still not hungry (don't worry, that's not my other confession). In times like this I always head to the nearest shopping plaza to get out of the office and "window shop" to get an idea of what I want to purchase when I do have money to splurge (I quoted window shop because sometimes I reason with myself that a pair of pants or shoes are truly more important than eating lunch for a week. I know, I have a problem; tell me something I don't know). 
I digress as usual; Okay so now that summer is upon us in this lovely city of Phoenix, I have been trying to find non-work attire that covers pretty much just the basics (boobs & butt) because when it's 106 degrees outside like today, I could walk around in a bikini (if I was comfortable enough to) and still feel like I have too much clothing on. -What's with all the parenthesis in my sentences? I don't know, I have a lot of side notes for you. You're welcome- 
So today I did something I haven't done since my high school days... I shopped for MYSELF in the young men's section (there it is finally, 2nd confession)!! It was honestly a little surprising at how much neon pink, purple and orange was on the racks, but I guess those are just fun summer colors that anyone can wear. Also, it was kind of funny going into the fitting room at the same time as some teenage boy with almost the same exact shirt he was trying on. But yes, I did get a couple of tank tops to sport around this summer that are still figure flattering (just not holding onto my torso for dear life, which will make me even more hot and cranky) that I can throw a cute cami under to have that spiffy surfer girl look.

This is definitely one reason I'm glad I am a girl, 'cause I don't know how many straight men can walk into the Junior's or Women's sections in a store and find something that will look good on them... well, besides skinny jeans lol.

Perfect tomboy weekend attire




No comments:

Post a Comment